Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #8 – How I coudn’t trust my GPS
The eighth day was one of the best in the race. It was nice to have some rest before the second checkpoint. I was told that the Czech part is harder than the Slovak one, but I have to say that the roads there were much easier.
It was a bit cold in the morning, but I was prepared for that. I was packed in my sleeping bag as perfectly as I could. It wasn’t wet there as it was around the river Váh, so it was no problem for me to put clothes on and get on the road. I was probably far away from Vizovice, because I didn’t hear any drums or guitars at night. Only a few fire shots…
Vizovické vrchy were ahead of me and I hoped that it will be nothing compared to Slovak mountains.
And it really wasn’t so bad. Maybe because of my training in previous days. But it wasn’t all shiny. I wanted to be at the next checkpoint by tomorrow and my speed was more like a snail than a biker. I cursed every uphill I saw.
Among the people again
After Vizovice hills I finally reached civilisation. I bought a proviant from a Vietnamese in Drahotuše. He was looking weirdly at me. Probably because I stank really heavily. After one kilometre I realised that I left my glasses on a square in Drahotuše, but I wasn’t in a mood to return for them. The truth is that I saw nothing with them on. So I thought I will be better without them.
My rest and a lunch had no effect on my strength. It was hard for me to even bike on plains and a hill was something impossible. It took me only half an hour to find a bench and rest there. I was trying to find new strength to continue. I didn’t find it, but what else I could do than just continue on…?
I felt betrayed
I expected hard rough road through the woods but something amazing happened. There was a nice asphalt road. A slope was perfect. I had to use neither pedals nor brakes. It was so beautiful and it lasted so long. I was wondering, when it will change. Hills were around me, but the path led between them. I thought that something had to be wrong with my GPS. I simply couldn’t believe that track…
I was able to restore my strength and collect many kilometres. I rode til late evening. But then the first problem came – flies. When I had my glasses, I didn’t see anything, because they were blurred. Now I simply wasn’t able to see anything, because I had flies in my eyes. I found one clever position – I pulled my helmet into my eyes and looked through the holes in it.
I was kind of frightened, that I ate all my food. But I was convinced that no one can die of hunger in the Czech Republic. At first, I wanted to sleep in nice grass. It was great, but when I looked at the weather forecast, I saw brutal rains. So I continued to Křišťálovice village and I conquered the local bus stop. And indeed, it rained really heavily at night. I was lucky.
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #1 – How it all started
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #1 – Jak to všechno začalo
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #2 – How I was afraid to go through the tunnel
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #2 – Jak jsem se bál tunelem
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #3 – Jak jsem prvně chystal pepřák
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #3 – How I was going to use pepper spray for the first time
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #4 – Jak jsem jel po území krav a lejn
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #4 – How I biked through the territory of cows and shits
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #5 – Jak jsem se vždycky hecnul
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #5 – How I was constantly challenging myself
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #6 – How I threw my bike to a scarp
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #6 – Jak jsem hodil kolo do škarpy
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #7 – How I escaped from Slovakia
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #7 – Jak jsem prchnul ze Slovenska
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #8 – Jak jsem nemohl věřit GPSce
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #8 – How I coudn’t trust my GPS
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #9 – How I made it to the half
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #9 – Jak jsem doklepnul půlku
- 1000 Miles Adventure 2015 – Jak jsem si vyzvedl triko za 50 hadrů
How I started to run slowly
It is really hard to slow down in running. It is competition after all and even during the training no one wants to be defeated. But this year I was forced to throw away my pride and learn myself how to run at a slow pace.
Show more →