Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #8 – How I coudn’t trust my GPS
The eighth day was one of the best in the race. It was nice to have some rest before the second checkpoint. I was told that the Czech part is harder than the Slovak one, but I have to say that the roads there were much easier.
It was a bit cold in the morning, but I was prepared for that. I was packed in my sleeping bag as perfectly as I could. It wasn’t wet there as it was around the river Váh, so it was no problem for me to put clothes on and get on the road. I was probably far away from Vizovice, because I didn’t hear any drums or guitars at night. Only a few fire shots…
Vizovické vrchy were ahead of me and I hoped that it will be nothing compared to Slovak mountains.
And it really wasn’t so bad. Maybe because of my training in previous days. But it wasn’t all shiny. I wanted to be at the next checkpoint by tomorrow and my speed was more like a snail than a biker. I cursed every uphill I saw.
Among the people again
After Vizovice hills I finally reached civilisation. I bought a proviant from a Vietnamese in Drahotuše. He was looking weirdly at me. Probably because I stank really heavily. After one kilometre I realised that I left my glasses on a square in Drahotuše, but I wasn’t in a mood to return for them. The truth is that I saw nothing with them on. So I thought I will be better without them.
My rest and a lunch had no effect on my strength. It was hard for me to even bike on plains and a hill was something impossible. It took me only half an hour to find a bench and rest there. I was trying to find new strength to continue. I didn’t find it, but what else I could do than just continue on…?
I felt betrayed
I expected hard rough road through the woods but something amazing happened. There was a nice asphalt road. A slope was perfect. I had to use neither pedals nor brakes. It was so beautiful and it lasted so long. I was wondering, when it will change. Hills were around me, but the path led between them. I thought that something had to be wrong with my GPS. I simply couldn’t believe that track…
I was able to restore my strength and collect many kilometres. I rode til late evening. But then the first problem came – flies. When I had my glasses, I didn’t see anything, because they were blurred. Now I simply wasn’t able to see anything, because I had flies in my eyes. I found one clever position – I pulled my helmet into my eyes and looked through the holes in it.
I was kind of frightened, that I ate all my food. But I was convinced that no one can die of hunger in the Czech Republic. At first, I wanted to sleep in nice grass. It was great, but when I looked at the weather forecast, I saw brutal rains. So I continued to Křišťálovice village and I conquered the local bus stop. And indeed, it rained really heavily at night. I was lucky.
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #1 – How it all started
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #1 – Jak to všechno začalo
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #2 – How I was afraid to go through the tunnel
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #2 – Jak jsem se bál tunelem
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #3 – Jak jsem prvně chystal pepřák
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #3 – How I was going to use pepper spray for the first time
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #4 – Jak jsem jel po území krav a lejn
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #4 – How I biked through the territory of cows and shits
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #5 – Jak jsem se vždycky hecnul
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #5 – How I was constantly challenging myself
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #6 – How I threw my bike to a scarp
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #6 – Jak jsem hodil kolo do škarpy
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #7 – How I escaped from Slovakia
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #7 – Jak jsem prchnul ze Slovenska
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #8 – Jak jsem nemohl věřit GPSce
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #8 – How I coudn’t trust my GPS
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #9 – How I made it to the half
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #9 – Jak jsem doklepnul půlku
- 1000 Miles Adventure 2015 – Jak jsem si vyzvedl triko za 50 hadrů
Carpatia Divide 2019, day #1 – When I was terribly wrong
I signed up for Carpatia Divide at the end of April. There wasn’t much information, because it was the first year of the event. For some time I was actually thinking it’s some kind of scam for too-enthusiastic bikers. From what I understood, there was a precedent race called Transparatia, which was more or less ordinary mountain bike stage race. But CD was going to be a classic bikepacking adventure in a remote location and without any kind of support – as I like it.
Show more →
Do only one step on New Year’s Day
I’m not a big fan of New Year’s resolutions. I don’t want to lose weight or run a certain amount of kilometres. Despite this, I have a method how to do something I’m afraid of or it is hard for me.
Show more →