Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #3 – How I was going to use pepper spray for the first time
On the third day I started having problems with my bike. For one moment I even thought about giving up. Fortunately, there was a lot of cycle services in Slovakia.
Two of my co-racers got up a little earlier. I didn’t know where they were getting their energy from. I found out that it was going to be super hot today. There was a warning that people shouldn’t leave their homes. It will be a hell ride. I got out of my sleeping bag later because I was waiting for the opening of the local shop. I didn’t have anything for breakfast.
And then it came…
And then I experienced real Slovak mountains. I enjoyed the view on Ružín damm with a beautiful mist above its surface. And then I was pushing, pushing and pushing my bike to the top. There were a lot of signs that entry is forbidden, entry is only on your own danger and I was just hoping that it wasn’t valid for racers. And when I finally pushed my bike to the top of the mountain and had to go down and I was braking, braking and braking. But it was a nice change.
I entered the picturesque village Slovinky. It was an oasis of civilisation in the middle of mountains. I refilled my rations and headed to Poráč. There was a short bear zone, but light was everywhere and I wasn’t scared at all. I loved this part of the track. It was hot but I got used to it because the road was next to the water.
Something terrible wrong is with my bike
My front wheel was getting loose on downhills in Poráč. I was trying to tighten a screw but the problem was appearing again and again. I though that I would have to ride on my rear wheel only. Fortunately, this scenario didn’t happen. I reached Spišská Nová Ves where I got a new gasket in a cycle service (thanks to Bicycle Schwabik for the free help).
I didn’t want to stay in the town for long. The lady from a grocery shop warned me that around my path there are a lot of gipsy settlements. It was getting dark and I started to be afraid. I was thinking about staying here for the night but my performance was pretty bad that day and I had to make at least a few tens of kilometres.
I decided to accept the challenge. I prepared my pepper spray to the handle bars with the thought that if someone will bother me, I’ll make them cry. I started with an impressive speed. I didn’t know who will attack me after next corner. I went through the gipsy settlement which was really scary and I continued on. I was surprised that it was the first and the last settlement I saw that day.
But just as I had good luck with gipsies, I had bad luck with the Notch-horned Cleg Fly. These … flies … were sticking with me. When I wanted to have some rest, they attacked me. I was trying to escape them but biking uphill was so tiring… And when I finally did it, it was night already and I was alone in a Slovak forest. Brrrr…
I reached the village Spišské Teplice on the edge of exhaustion. I found a nice place behind the local church and had a great night.
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #1 – How it all started
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #1 – Jak to všechno začalo
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #2 – How I was afraid to go through the tunnel
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #2 – Jak jsem se bál tunelem
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #3 – Jak jsem prvně chystal pepřák
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, day #3 – How I was going to use pepper spray for the first time
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #4 – Jak jsem jel po území krav a lejn
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #4 – How I biked through the territory of cows and shits
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #5 – Jak jsem se vždycky hecnul
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #5 – How I was constantly challenging myself
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #6 – How I threw my bike to a scarp
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #6 – Jak jsem hodil kolo do škarpy
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #7 – How I escaped from Slovakia
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #7 – Jak jsem prchnul ze Slovenska
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #8 – Jak jsem nemohl věřit GPSce
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #8 – How I coudn’t trust my GPS
- Race 1000 Miles Adventure, day #9 – How I made it to the half
- Závod 1000 Miles Adventure 2015, den #9 – Jak jsem doklepnul půlku
- 1000 Miles Adventure 2015 – Jak jsem si vyzvedl triko za 50 hadrů
How I started to run slowly
It is really hard to slow down in running. It is competition after all and even during the training no one wants to be defeated. But this year I was forced to throw away my pride and learn myself how to run at a slow pace.
Show more →