App StrongLifts 5×5
The StrongLifts 5×5 app is for working out with a barbell and it should help you get stronger. Don’t expect hundreds of exercises like in other apps. Everything here is easy and minimalistic. And in the basic version, it’s free.
My favourite workouts are dynamic – running and biking. But today I would like to show you an app that focuses on weightlifting. It is an important part of every specific sport or even sport in general.
StrongLifts 5×5 is a very good example of simplicity. Not only the app is minimalistic, the whole idea of a 5×5 workout is pretty clear. You just have 5 exercises that you repeat 5 times in 5 sets. It is the huge difference from all the other apps that have hundreds of exercises and I don’t know which one to choose. Here, you are working out with a barbell – squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, bent over row and bench press. And that’s all. Pure minimalism.
If you want to, you can add some additional exercises to your workouts but it’s only optional. You can read more about 5×5 on website of the app’s author. There are “how to videos” right in the app too. I don’t want to judge if it’s a good workout and predict what your results will be. I can only give you information about how the app works. And I have to say that it’s great.
Start to exercise with StrongLifts 5×5
There are two types of workouts – A and B. They strengthen different muscle groups and you are alternating them during the week. You start on low weights and with each workout, it increases. So you don’t get stuck with the same weight. But the app doesn’t restrict you if you have different personal goals. Almost everything is customisable. You can change starting weights or their increase. You can enter the number and weight of your plates and it calculates which one to use. I hope it doesn’t reduce brain size.
It’s very easy to log a set. With one click you set it as done, with multiple clicks you modify the number of reps you made. Based on success or failure, the resting time countdown starts.
StrongLifts 5×5 app has your health on its mind and that’s why it prepares a set for warming up. You can also add notes to every workout.
You have several options how to show the history of workouts:
- Detailed list: A list with most of the information will show you exercises, the count of reps, sets and weight for every day. By swiping left or right you navigate to future or past.
- Calendar: It shows you the days you were exercising. You can see on which days you’ve missed the workout. By clicking on a particular day it shows you all the details.
- Graphs: Without charts, it wouldn’t be it – they’re the best tool how to track your progress. You can view stats for each exercise or for all of them in one chart. You can export them to CSV – you don’t have to worry about migration.
All that glitters is not gold
The app is free, but some of the functions I mentioned are paid. Fortunately, it’s not a monthlyh price, but a one-time payment. All features cost about $10 but you can buy them one by one if you think you don’t need them all.
- warming-up sets
- several addionational execises
- plate weight calculator
- changing sets to 3×5, 3×3 or 1×3
- controling the app through notification center
- Google Fit integration
- exporting your data to CSV
I only used warming sets and the export to CSV. Other features are redundant for me.
If you like this kind of exercise I can definitely recommend this app. You can do weightlifting without it, but with it’s much more comfortable with it. You can download the app for Android or for iOS.
Do you use an app for weightlifting? Reply